Monday, July 19, 2010

Beginning Couponing

It seems the majority of readers I've spoken with are interested in couponing. I will start with a few recommendations each day and see how long it takes us to get through the basics. The first thing I can recommend are a couple of online sites that offer coupons. What I've noticed, however, is that often they are offering the same coupons.

Coupons.com is generally the first site that you will come across. Most grocery stores accept the printed coupons from this site. (Make sure you check with your local store to ensure that they take them.) Also, if you want to follow a healthier lifestyle, there aren't quite as many coupons because many offered are for new products and sometimes for junk food.

Box tops for education offers some great coupons as well. Same caveat - some healthy food, some not so much.

Mypoints has a section for members to print coupons, which seem to be almost the same as coupons.com. You do get points for printing and points for using the coupons, which you can save and use for gift cards.

Coupon Suzy doesn't seem any different to me from coupons.com, but perhaps you will have different results.

Manufacturer coupons from the stores you shop at are often different from all of these. Depending on your store you may be able to combine these with the other coupons. This is how to get items for less, little, or even free. I will discuss this more later in the week, but start checking out the stores you frequent for their coupons as well, and what their coupon policy is.

In order to save the optimal amount of money, you really have to get the newspaper also. Dollar Tree offers the Sunday paper for $1 on Sunday and you can scoop up a few to start getting your couponing going.

More tomorrow. Let me know how your journey is going! :)

Disney Dreaming,
Leslie

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the resources! I've tried coupons.com but not the other three. I've had a LOT of trouble getting coupons.com to print correctly at home though. I have tried from two different browsers (safari and firefox)... I don't know if the problem is that I'm on a Mac? Have you (or any other readers) had issues printing coupons at home? Have you been able to resolve them, and if so, how?

    I've been spending a lot of time trying to get my current coupons (from the paper) organized. I'm trying to figure out how to read the sales papers and make a plan and maximize savings. I'm still ridiculously confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post on the whole organizing your paper coupons tomorrow, what other people have done, what we try to do. It is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea to save for Disney. Thanks for all the resourcs.

    ReplyDelete